Rumours Fly about Amazon Preparing to Launch New 3D Smartphone
Not for the first time, there are whispers on the grapevine which indicate that Amazon is gearing to make an entrance into the smartphone market with a Kindle branded handset, complete with glasses-free 3D capabilities.
The idea of a smartphone making use of 3D is not in itself a new one, however after several attempts, including the LG Optimus 3D and the HTC Evo 3D, the market seemed to decide that a 3D feature doesn’t really add to a mobile’s user experience and is of little value to usability, other than as a gimmick.
At this stage, Amazon have refused to comment on the rumour, but with their extensive track record producing smartphone-like devices and their eReader models with integrated 3G to allow for online connectivity whilst out of Wi-Fi range, it certainly wouldn’t be at all surprising to see them attempting to gain a foothold in this market.
The rumours, which originated from the Wall Street Journal, are also indicating that an eye tracking user interface is also on its way, which combined with a three dimensional display could lead to some ground breaking advances in the way we use portable technology.
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- Sector – Automotive
- Sector – Education
- Sector – Energy & Utilities
- Sector – Finance
- Sector – Government
- Sector – Healthcare
- Sector – Media
- Sector – Retail
- Sector – Telecoms
- Sector – Travel & Tourism
- Service Design Toolbox
- Spotless Trends
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights
- User Experience Insights