Upcoming Update for YouView TV Introduces Key Usability Features
TV subscribers with a YouView set-top box will be glad to know that a soon-to-be released update will provide a number of nifty usability enhancements, particularly when it comes to users who struggle with operating the remote control for searches.
YouView software version 8.1 will allow people to use a USB keyboard to make the programme search process more smooth sailing. Although this new keyboard functionality is primarily being rolled to help visually-impaired viewers, it will also be a relief for those who simply find using the remote for searches clunky – people will no longer have to use SMS-style typing to look up on-demand content.
The update ushers in other usability perks – a high-contrast mode, text-to-speech functionality for the YouView App, improved zoom features, and support for Grid 2 software.
YouView Director Susie Buckridge commented: “We hope these accessibility updates will give a wider range of customers the means to discover great TV and radio, by providing the tools to make our user interface and mobile applications easy to navigate. We are particularly pleased with the new zoom function, which is a UK first and will give visually-impaired users a much clearer user journey.”
Version 8.1 will be released to consumer boxes in early December, and will arrive on BT and TalkTalk YouView services next year.
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- Sector – Automotive
- Sector – Education
- Sector – Energy & Utilities
- Sector – Finance
- Sector – Government
- Sector – Healthcare
- Sector – Media
- Sector – Retail
- Sector – Telecoms
- Sector – Travel & Tourism
- Service Design Toolbox
- Spotless Trends
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights
- User Experience Insights