Spotless Podcast – Episode 4: Learning through Games
For the fourth episode of our Podcast I am joined by Senior Consultant Tom Knoll to talk about his work in relation to Learning in Games. Tom chats us through some of the theoretical techniques underpinning this area, as well as some practical applications. We also relate this directly to User Experience and Service Design in terms of how gamification can affect the overall customer or user experience.
One correction from the show – we mention that Nintendo has started using a more common game engine, what we meant was that the Epic Unreal Engine is supported on Switch.
Main topics covered:
- Background on Tom
- Introduction to learning in video games
- Practical applications of learning in games and gamification
- Nintendo Switch launch and reactions
- London Underground, stand on both side of the escalator
- Jaguar ad encourages unsafe driving
- Swedish City using the game Cities: Skylines to help urban planning
- Playstation VR Reaction and sales
Games User Research Book
Tom has recently contributed a chapter to an upcoming book on Games User Research. Please keep an eye out for it over the next few months!
Get in touch
Please do like, subscribe and rate the podcast on iTunes – this helps us to become better known in the iTunes store, and we really do appreciate it.
If you would like to get in touch with any questions or suggestions, please Tweet us at @spotint, or comment below.
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights