SAP to Improve Software UI with Gamification
SAP has been talking gamification at the recent Enterprise 2.0 conference in Santa Clara – they aim to change the way that users engage with their software.
The term gamification, defined as “the integration of game mechanics and game-thinking in non-game environments to boost engagement, loyalty and fun”, has been creeping into marketing speak a great deal this year.
In a recent interview, Mario Herger, Senior Innovation Strategist for SAP Labs, admitted that their software is not “known for having compelling UI designs”. He spoke of the company’s plans to change this, saying “you work with it to do stuff you’re required to do, but it’s not as engaging in form as we’d like to see.”
Herger has been championing the ways in which video games are embracing innovative and compelling new ways to interact with the user and is looking to integrate these methods within the SAP user experience.
Already, leader boards and badges have been adopted by the SAP Community Network, with further gamification principles due to be rolled out on the company’s business applications in the near future.
Speaking of the concept, Herger commented: “The message, for me, is that gamification is not a fad, gamification is going to stay. It’s just like social media – when it makes sense to use it, you will use it.”
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- Sector – Automotive
- Sector – Education
- Sector – Energy & Utilities
- Sector – Finance
- Sector – Government
- Sector – Healthcare
- Sector – Media
- Sector – Retail
- Sector – Telecoms
- Sector – Travel & Tourism
- Service Design Toolbox
- Spotless Trends
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights
- User Experience Insights