Expanded Functionality for Google’s Handwrite Input System
July 2012 saw the release of Google’s “Handwrite” – a feature which allows the user to perform a Google search from a smartphone or tablet by writing their search term with a finger rather than inputting via keyboard or voice input.
The app had been regarded as a nice feature or an alternate method of input, but with a new update released today, Google will be hoping for deeper market penetration of their handwritten user interface.
Explaining some of the new features, product manager Lawrence Chang commented: “If you’ve tried Handwrite before, you may have had some trouble entering a lowercase ‘L’, the number ’1′, or a capital ‘I’. Now, we provide alternate interpretations of your characters that you can select above the space bar. If Google interprets your handwriting one way and you meant the other, you can now more easily make a correction.”
A new facility that allows the writing of letters on top of each other, rather than having to fit a word onto a small screen has also been implemented.
While the upgraded system is unlikely to revolutionise the search engine’s user interface, it’s always nice to have alternate options in any software.
Is humility our new superpower? And other questions (and answers) from this year’s Service Design Fringe Festival. Part two.
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- Sector – Automotive
- Sector – Education
- Sector – Energy & Utilities
- Sector – Finance
- Sector – Government
- Sector – Healthcare
- Sector – Media
- Sector – Retail
- Sector – Telecoms
- Sector – Travel & Tourism
- Service Design Toolbox
- Spotless Trends
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights
- User Experience Insights