3D Gesture User Interface for Touchscreens Patented by Apple
Apple have recently filed a patent, titled “Working with 3D objects”, which seems to describe fresh methods of manipulating user interfaces within a 3D space.
While there is little official word of this yet, the possibilities of the announced system are fascinating, with a few juicy details being given away by the patent:
“An apparatus for generating or modifying 3D objects can include a sensor to detect touch inputs, 2D gesture inputs that are associated with a surface, and 3D gesture inputs that include a movement perpendicular to the surface.
A data processor is provided to receive signals output from the sensor, the signals representing detected 3D gesture inputs and at least one of detected touch inputs or detected 2D gesture inputs. The data processor generates or modifies a 3D object in a user interface according to the detected 3D gesture inputs and at least one of detected touch inputs or detected 2D gesture inputs.”
We’ll have to wait and see how long before we the consumers get to test out such an interface for ourselves, though the crushing inevitability of the “Minority Report” user experience seems to have lurched a little closer.
Is humility our new superpower? And other questions (and answers) from this year’s Service Design Fringe Festival. Part two.
Is humility our new superpower? And other questions (and answers) from this year’s Service Design Fringe Festival. Part one.
Browse our insights.
- Adapting to Change – User Experience Insights
- Consumer & Retail Opportunities – User Experience Insights
- Design Thinking – Service Design toolbox
- Designing for People – User Experience Insights
- Experience Toolbox – User Experience Insights
- Expriencing Spaces – User Experience Insights
- Gaming Trends – User Experience Insights
- Sector – Automotive
- Sector – Education
- Sector – Energy & Utilities
- Sector – Finance
- Sector – Government
- Sector – Healthcare
- Sector – Media
- Sector – Retail
- Sector – Telecoms
- Sector – Travel & Tourism
- Service Design Toolbox
- Spotless Trends
- The Future of Health & Wellbeing – User Experience Insights
- User Experience Insights